Start Your Career

Construction Apprenticeship Program

The construction industry has developed the most comprehensive and expansive system of apprenticeship programs in the United States.  For many decades, construction companies and labor organizations have directly invested in apprenticeships as a proven workforce development model for recruiting, developing, and retaining highly-productive employees for construction jobs requiring precision and safety.

All apprenticeship jobs or referrals are done through Local 539. If you are unemployed, the local union will find you another job.

HVAC/R Service Apprenticeship Program

Apprentices work in the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) trades as well as refrigeration.

An HVAC/R apprentice will learn the basics of refrigeration, heating, plumbing, pipefitting and electrical work and will also learn how to maintain, install and repair various types of equipment used in the industry today.

One year of credit towards the apprenticeship is granted for the completion of the two years of Technical College in HVAC/R.

All apprenticeship jobs or referrals are done through Local 539. If you are unemployed, the local union will find you another job.

Apply for an Apprenticeship

The 2021 application process is closed and applications are now under review. The next round of applications will be accepted during the first two weeks of January 2022 .

Because of the pandemic, we will not have in-person applications this year.  All applications will be provided online.  

All applications and required attachments to the application must be received no later than 3:00 p.m., Friday, January 15, 2021. If not received, the application will be considered incomplete, and applicant will have to reapply the following year.

Application Process

You must apply for the apprenticeship program during the two-week application period and meet all of the minimum qualifications (see below).

  • Complete an online application.
  • Upload a photocopy of your High School Diploma. The diploma must be issued by a U.S. state, and we will also accept a state-issued GED. The GED must have been obtained through an approved GED Testing Center recognized by the GED Testing Service. Transcripts for both the high school diploma and GED are acceptable. If the high school diploma or college transcripts are issued outside of the United States, they must be translated into English and evaluated by an accredited, independent credential evaluation service.  Copies of diplomas, course completion certificates, or transcripts of course credits for GED, High School, or Technical College must be attached to the application. Only translated, validated copies of diplomas, certificates or transcripts will be accepted.  Proper documentation must be attached for applicant’s educational background to be considered.
  • If applying for an HVAC/R Service apprenticeship, you must include a certificate of completion and grade transcript from your two-year Technical College program. Also note that HVAC/R employers typically require a clean driving record for insurance purposes.

All applicants that complete an online application and upload the required attachments will be invited to an oral interview where the applicants will be ranked; the person with the highest ranking score will be at the top of the list, and as the jobs become available, applicants will be pulled from the list from the highest ranking in descending order.

Applicants will be notified by mail with their ranking number within two weeks of the interview.

Frequently Asked Apprenticeship Questions

Q. What is a Journeyman?
A. A journeyman is a person who has completed an apprenticeship program and has met the required minimum qualifications and standards that pertain to their trade.

Q. Can I get an application for the apprenticeship program at any time?
No, we open application for two weeks out of each year and you can only fill out an application during that time period. See the apprentice applications for the specific dates.

Q. Can you mail an application to me?
No, you must download the application during the two-week application period.

Q. What if I can't find my High School Diploma?
You can usually obtain a copy of your high school transcripts from the school district office that you graduated from.

Q. When are the related training classes?
The classes are held in the evening starting in September and running through April each year. You typically have class two to three nights a week, they starting at 5:30 pm and run 3.5 to 4 hours each night.

Q. What are the qualifications:
For HVAC/R Service applicants
For Construction Pipefitters